Thursday 21 July 2016

Milk Halwa

        There was a always a confusion for me between milk halwa and milk khoa. Recently I learnt it from my mom. She said milk halwa is made by adding ghee, whereas khoa is not so. I like the granular structure of milk halwa.These granules can be achieved using panner (Cottage Cheese) or simply a half tea spoon of fresh curd, it will slightly curdles giving a granular structure.

        Milk halwa reminds me of the old Lala Topiwala Sweet Stall. During my childhood days, after shopping at Purasavakam, my mother used to buy milk halwa from this sweet stall. The taste still lingers in my tongue. This sweet stall was in Gangadareshwar Koil Street, right next to pillaiyar koil in the corner (Junction) of Purasavakam high road and Gangareshwar koil street.

        It was priced somewhere between 3 to 5 rupees then. After our shopping I used to insist my mom to take me to this shop and buy me milk halwa ("Sweet" memories !!!). It was served hot. I never had the patience to wait till it cools down, I often burnt my tongue.

        Now being a mother, I am little hesitant and choosy to buy food stuffs for my son, whatever he names, I somehow browse through the net or magazines or from people to know the recipes and try to make at home. Trail and error method.

        I finally made milk halwa, it was very yummy. Traditionally it is done by boiling milk over a medium flame and reducing it to solid form (Khoa). But I was bit lazy to do this, so I made with unsweetened khoa available in the supermarkets. Here is the recipe.

                                                               Milk Halwa 

 

Cuisine: Indian Sweets                                                                 Ratio
Preparation Time: 10 minutes                                              Khoa : Sugar
Cooking Time: 20 minutes                                                  1 Cup : 1/4 Cup

Ingredients:
Unsweetened Khoa: 1 Cup
Sugar: 1/4 Cup (or more) 
Fresh curd :1 table spoon
Ghee: 1/4 Cup
Badam & Cashews shavings: 2 tea spoons

Method:
1. Crumble the khoa well, put this into a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Place the pan on the stove over a medium flame.
3. Add sugar to the khoa and mix well. The khoa sugar mixture will become semi solid.
4. Keep on stirring and add ghee in between, add cardamon and keep stirring. add curd ,it will granulize
5. After 10 to 15 minutes, it becomes a whole mass leaving the sides of the pan. Switch off the flame and add the remaining ghee if any.
6. Transfer it to a bowl, garnish with badam, cashews shavings and serve hot and enjoy.









Note:
1. This sweet tastes yummy , when hot.
2. When it becomes whole mass, it slightly changes color from half-white to wheatish color.
3. It tastes best when is is in wheatish color, only then it attains the granular structure.
4. The measurement of sugar was fine with me. it was apt, but if you have sweet tooth, you can add more sugar as per your taste.
5. It stays well for 2 to 3 days in room temperature, one week when refrigerated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment